Saturday, February 9, 2019

Chapter Seventeen: Too Hot to Handle

“Seriously, Kaitlyn?” Erik ranted. “She’s your mother. Why would I fool around with your mother? I can’t help it if she finds me attractive like so many other Sims. While I think she’s pretty enough for an Elder, she’s just not my type. Why are you giving me this grief? Your mom flirted with me, I played back is all, that’s what I do. Hey, I didn't know it was going to make her swoon, I swear.” I never know why it makes them swoon, he thought. Still mystified at his affect on Sims.
“So, you played back, and that’s what you do. What exactly does that mean, Erik Cantrell?” Her eyes shot darts at him. Drawing in a quiet breath, she said, “I think I know why the others left you.”
“I broke it off with them, I’ll have you know. All three times. It was me who called it quits.” Erik swaggered over to Kaitlyn. “Do you want to know why?” His face was very serious. Kaitlyn took half a step back from him.

“I’m not sure,” she said. “Do I?”

“Jealousy. I got sick and tired of their jealous fits, that’s why. And now it’s happening to you. You were so cool, calm and collected when we started to date. The minute I suggested we go exclusive, you started to turn. Let me see your neck,” Erik lifted her long blonde hair off of her shoulder so he could gaze at her pink-toned neck. “Nope. I thought for sure you’d have the scar of multiple bite marks. If not a vampire, then, what has turned you?”

Kaitlyn shook her head, allowing her locks to fall back into place. She set her blue eyes upon the Sim she loved so very much, crossing her arms over her chest. “You never answered my question. About why you play back with the fans that openly flirt — throw themselves at you, I should say. And the way you lean back hands on your chest as if they've just shot you with arrows. Cupid's Arrows, that is.”

“Oh, that.” Erik looked down at his shoes, ran a hand through his long locks and then gazed over at his bride. “Okay, you want an answer, I’ll tell you why. Some of my fans are lonely, maybe even insecure. They’re hesitant to approach, they squeal, they act all nervous. Do they dare approach me? You can almost see the question in their eyes. Will I reject them if they do? How many times have some of them suffered rejection in their lives? Some remain on the fringe and never approach. Too shy. Those that overcome that momentary reserve are just so gleeful when I sign an autograph for them. You would think I just offered them clemency or something. As if I were a king, or even a potentate of some sort…”

“They make you feel good, don’t they.”

Erik shrugged. “Yeah, that’s part of it too, I guess.”

“Please do finish your story.” Kaitlyn took a seat on the arm of the sofa. They were up in the Music Room, so they had privacy as they talked.

Erik walked over to the fireplace to stoke it. Although it was summer, the castle was on the cool side way up here. He kept his back to Kaitlyn, as he slowly moved the logs around with the steel poker. “Some fans even find their courage — an almost now or never attitude — and outright throw themselves at me, yes. If I play back, and I have a tendency to have weak knees, they get this almost magical look in their eyes as if they are feeling beautiful for the first time, ever. Maybe even desirable. I- ah -just – I just try to make them happy. And, that’s all it is,” he said, walking toward her. “It’s not at all the same as when you offer me a rose, or stroke my cheek. While I love my fans, it’s not the same as the love I feel for you. I promise, Kaitlyn,” he said taking a seat next to her on the faux leather sofa, “I will never cheat on you. That’s not the kind of Sim I am. Especially, not with your mother. What kind of a Sim do you think I am?”

Suddenly Kaitlyn found herself laughing. “No, that would just be too weird.” She shuddered. “I like that you and Mom get along, but no, you and her — together. No, just no.”

    “Would kinda be like you going out with my Dad,” he conceded. “Even weirder.”

“Hey, I like your Dad. But, yeah, it’s a little like thinking about your parents having woohoo. Ick. I’d rather not go there.”

Kaitlyn got to her feet. Erik took her by the arms. “Feel better?”

“Yes, I do. I’m very glad we can talk things out. Oh, and I should tell you, I bought another wedding gown.”

“Another one? I know it’s a trend to have one for the ceremony and a different one for the reception.”

“Not in my case. After the fitting, that first one just wasn't working at all. It suddenly fit as if it were two sizes too big. It made me feel fat!”

“You’re not fat, not even close.”

“I know and that’s the problem. I felt as if my Mom was pushing me to select that one. I never really did like it. It wasn't flattering it the least little bit, it wasn't me. I should have had your mother come along, too, for some sort of balance. I'm really sorry I didn't, now. I think you’ll like the second one better, too. Please, just don’t be too angry.”

Erik gave her a sympathetic expression and grinned. “That’s fine, it’s your day. You should have the dress you want. I want you,” he said, gently taking her long locks and putting them behind her shoulders, “to feel like a queen on our wedding day.”

She placed a hand on his chest. “You’re the one paying for this wedding, for which I thank you.”

“Your parents are retired and are of modest means. I've got it, I've always had it, it’s my pleasure to pay for our wedding.”


      “I just didn't want you to think I was the type who would run through your bank account, willy-nilly.”
“I know. Don’t give it another thought.” Leaning into her Erik gave her a gentle kiss. Then Kaitlyn turned to go back downstairs.
Glancing back at Erik, her eyes twinkling, she said, “How’s the house coming along? I know it’s been raining a lot. Are they still on schedule?”

“I’ll call the Contractor and find out. I knew there was a reason behind why I’m never thrilled when it rains.”
















No comments:

Post a Comment