Thursday, January 31, 2019

Chapter Twelve: The Best Medicine

“Erik, listen to me, Buddy. I know you've had it rough and your heart has been trampled on more than the average star. But, I just listened to your latest track. Kid, this one is big. It’s fabulous. I’m talking Award-worthy material, here. This is your very best work. Tragedy can do that to an artist. Did I say artist? I meant Artiste. I've booked you for a more intimate concert up at the Ruins. I've had a crew there setting things up. Tell me, you’ll be there. Seven in the evening on the 15th and I won’t take no for an answer. You need to snap out of this funk you’re in. Best remedy is to play before a live crowd, I’m tellin’ ya. Once you feel that audience …” Erik snapped off the recorded voice message. Dan Simms was a good agent but he was relentless. Erik was out of answers.

What was he to do? Having hired a private investigator hoping to track down Wesley’s family so that they could take his ashes off of Erik’s hands, none had turned up. Not only that but the ghost of Wesley past began to haunt the place, scaring his little nephews out of their wits. He, knew too, that Dan was correct. He couldn't continue to keep himself holed up and away from his fans, his work and everything else. It had been so long, in fact, that his little niece, T’Nia was walking already. Perhaps, a concert was just what he needed …

Before Erik had made up his mind, entirely, Kaitlyn Nye moved into the castle and his clever sister put them seated across from each other at the dining table. So far, she was everything his sister said she was. Beautiful, talented, interesting. Single. And she could sing. She was different from all the others he had dated. They did have a great deal in common. They had a fantastic time singing karaoke together. Their voices blended well. So well, it surprised him. They laughed together, they joked. They had a terrific time. And a thought tickled the edge of his consciousness that maybe they should become a duet? He also started having feelings he’d never experienced before. He fell asleep each night with her in this thoughts and when he awakened again, she was the first Sim he even thought of. Very strange. Erik found he wanted to know every little thing about her. It was time, he decided.

“Kaitlyn,” Erik said, late one afternoon. “Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to dinner tonight? — That is, if you have no other plans.”
Kaitlyn’s face lit up as she smiled, her large blue eyes aglow. “Are you asking me out on a date, Sir?”
“Most definitely,” he smiled back. Walking over to her he took her by her arms.
“And just what should I be wearing to this dinner date?” Her smile was coy.
Erik drew her into him. “Something formal,” he said, playing her game.
“Chez Llama?”
“No, the Star Lounge in NewCrest.”
“Oh, do I need to be a star to get in?”
“No, that went bust for Chez Llama, so they've reverted back. No, this is called the Star Lounge, because sometimes they hire a professional to entertain the diners.”
“Well, that sounds nice. I’d love to.”

The two arrived at the restaurant. Kaitlyn very much admired the atmosphere of the place, the decor. “This place is lovely, I can’t wait to see what’s on the menu.” The host got them a table immediately and the two were seated on the mezzanine deck to the right of the stage. So far, so good, Erik thought, happy for the privacy of the moment. Glancing at the menu, once they had decided, Erik flagged over a waiter and placed their order.

“Very good, Sir,” the elderly Sim said. “I shall bring it just as soon as it’s ready.”

Once they were alone again, the couple talked on a large range of topics. Erik really wanted to get to know Kaitlyn and, as it seemed to him, she wanted to know as much about him, too. They were so wrapped up in their conversation, that Erik hardly noticed the young adult Sim who rushed up to their corner table.

“Oh, it is you,” she gushed. “You’re Erik Cantrell!” Suddenly colorful confetti bits rained down upon the couple. Erik glanced up at the Sim, then back at Kaitlyn who had an amused grin on her face.



Leaning over the table toward him Kaitlyn smiled as she said, “So, does this happen a lot?”
Erik drew in a breath and tilted his head from side to side. “Yeah. I’m very sorry.”

“Oh, don’t be, I think it’s cute. But shouldn't you,” Kaitlyn nodded toward the Sim who had withdrawn to stand between the two tables opposite.

Erik stood up, pulling his vest straight as he did so. “I’ll just sign an autograph, if you don’t mind.”

He was pleased to see Kaitlyn nod and smile. It was a refreshing attitude. She watched, patiently, as Erik took care of his fan. Unflappable, he thought. That was a good thing.

Had that been the only interruption, Erik would have considered the date a success. However, out of nowhere Marcelo Gary appeared. Kaitlyn was the one who noticed him first. “Oh, look, that chubby Sim is dressed just like you. And I mean, exactly like you, except for his hair. Is he trying to be you?”

Erik sighed. “That would be my most obsessed fan, Marcelo. I’m afraid he’s got a massive Sim-crush on me. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I thrust him away when he tries to plant one on me, he keeps coming back for more. At least he doesn't follow me home,” Erik said and then grew quiet.

Kaitlyn placed a hand over his. “Erik, I heard about the casualty in the backyard. Everybody seems to be blaming themselves for it. Spock for not upgrading that fireplace. Brianna for not insisting it be removed and you, too, because he was your Stan, I mean your fan.”

“I know. My agent says I need to get back out there. Play concerts, hold Meet & Greets. I just — I just think my ambition is what caused this. I had to be the Best, I had to be Well-Known. I needed to be a Star, but not just a Newcomer, a Global Superstar. This is my punishment for my unfettered Ego. I cost another Sim his life.”

“Stop right there,” Kaitlyn’s voice was firm. “You have a rare talent, you’re a musical genius. It’s not fair for you to keep it to yourself. Sims with that kind of endowment are obligated to share it with others. If you don’t then you’re being selfish.”

Erik gazed over at her in earnest. “Is that really how you see it? Or are you just telling me what you think I want to hear? Forgive me for being blunt, but I've been put through the mill and I’m all ground up over it.”

“I know you have and you are,” Kaitlyn said, squeezing his hand. “Your sister filled me in before she introduced us. You need to share your talent again. Get back out there and yes, I really do mean it.”


A smile tickled Erik’s lips as he sat back in his chair. Quickly taking his cell phone from his pocket, he texted his agent, accepting the booking offered.  “Okay. I've been booked for an Event not too many days from now. Would you care to attend?”
“I would love to.”
“Well, then, I would love to have you.”
















No comments:

Post a Comment